Primary Care Physician
UniVida Medical Centers
Primary Care Physician: Description
The Primary Care Physician (PCP) is a licensed/Board Certified/Board Eligible trained professional in internal or family medicine who plays a key role as part of the clinical operations team providing direct patient care and providing assessments primarily in the health care center setting, or occasionally in acute care and home settings depending on the nature of the assignment. The responsibilities include but are not limited to geriatric assessment, medical history, physical exam, diagnosis and treatment, development of the plan of care, health education, specialty referrals, case management referrals, follow-up and clear documentation according to UniVida standards for quality, service, productivity and teamwork. It also includes the participation in clinical rounds and conferences plus in-depth documentation through written progress notes and summaries. The PCP will be required to demonstrate the ability to function both independently and in collaboration with other health care professionals. The PCP will consult with the applicable managers and medical directors to ensure compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and quality management programs, clinical meetings and other meetings as required.
- Functions independently as a primary care practitioner as part of a patient care team.
- Independently assesses acute and non-acute clinical problems.
- Performs and documents physical assessments and patient histories, analyzes trends in patient conditions, and develops, documents and implements a patient management plan in response to the data obtained. This also includes assisting in the development of the plan of care in addition to providing appropriate patient/ family/significant other counseling and education.
- Plans patient care based on in-depth knowledge of the specific patient population and/ or protocol, anticipating and identifying physiological and/ or psychological problems commonly encountered including the consideration of the patient’s cultural background, level of understanding, personality and support systems. Serves as patient advocate.
- Patient management includes the following: 1) writing admission, transfer and discharge orders; 2) ordering and interpreting appropriate laboratory and diagnostic studies: 3) ordering of appropriate medication and treatments; 4) referring patients for consultation when indicated i.e. dermatology, neurology, ophthalmology, endocrine, surgery, intensive care, infectious disease, hematology, psychiatry, social service, dietary, etc.;5) Documentation through in-depth progress notes and summaries.
- Participates in patient care rounds and conferences. Communicates patient management strategies to members of the patient care team.
- Collaborates with members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure that patient management strategies are successful in meeting patient care needs.
- Recognizes situations which require the immediate attention and initiates lifesaving procedures when necessary.
- Uses advanced communication skills to problem solve complex situations and to improve processes and service to patients.
- Collaborates with other multidisciplinary team members to analyze and evaluate current systems of health care delivery to identify and implement new practice patterns as appropriate.
- Participates in outside activities that enhance personal and professional growth and development.
- Initiates arrangements and writes orders for discharges and completes appropriate paperwork.
- Works collaboratively with physicians, nurses, PT, social workers, family and key caregivers to transition the patient to a lower level of care as soon as medically appropriate.
- Advocacy & Education-ensuring the patient has an advocate for needed services and any needed education.
- Facilitates discharge to appropriate level of care and uses preferred providers when additional services are required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Ability to adapt easily to changing conditions and work responsibilities.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful conditions.
- Establishes and maintains an effective working environment.
- Excellent people skills while following corporate policies and procedures.
- Critically analyzes data and evidence for improving clinical practice.
- Integrates knowledge from the humanities and sciences.
- Translates research and other forms of knowledge to improve practice processes and outcomes.
- Develops new practice approaches based on the integration of research, theory, and practice knowledge.
- Bi/multilingual ability preferred.
- MD. or D. O. degree.
- Completion of residency at an accredited healthcare institution.
- Board certification in primary care or related field from the American Board of Medical Specialties or American Osteopathic Association.
- Current Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Department of Public Safety (DPS) registration (if applicable to state), for prescription writing.
- Is not sanctioned, excluded, or disbarred from any State or Federal Health Plan and has not Opted out of Medicare participation.
- Willing to share malpractice history upon request
- Work may involve some driving/traveling to assigned clinics or corporate office.
- UniVida computers, standard and customized software applications, and tools.
This position works under usual office conditions. The employee is required to work at a personal computer as well as be on the phone for extended periods of time. Must be able to sit, walk, stand. The incumbent must be able to work extended and flexible hours. Physical demands include the ability to lift to 50 pounds.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
To apply for the Primary Care Physician position, please fill out the following form: